Friday, April 6, 2012

What To Be When I Grow Up ...?!

     Walking into the classroom with a peculiar lop-sided gait, the slight, 30-something young man exuded confidence.  Reaching a wooden podium in the center front of the room, he laboriously rested his elbows and leaned forward as if to impart a secret to those of us sitting in his classroom.  "My name is Paul and I am honored to be teaching you Normal Psychology,"  he said with the distinctive pattern of one who has cerebral palsy.  I found Paul a little difficult to understand, but I knew from the twinkle in his eye that this would be a fun class.

     The summer session classes at SMSU were more relaxed.  Most of the students, including me, took classes in the morning in order to have their afternoons free.  This class was an early one -- 7:30 and I was not happy about it.  But I chose to suffer so that I could hang with my friends later.  As the summer passed by I began learning alot from Paul.  Not only was he witty, but he was someone who connected with his students.  And I learned one very profound lesson from this psychology professor...

     Paul told us that he held a masters degree in psychology, but was scheduled to begin law school in the fall.  Then he told us that he might consider going to medical school later in life.  The words he spoke resounded in my heart for some reason.  Even today I can hear my professor saying,  "I can change my profession and pathway in life at any time in life.  Just because I'm a psychology professor now doesn't mean I'll be one in ten or twenty years.  Be what you want to be -- at anytime throughout your life! ...I intend to!"

     Now that I'm 54 years old I look back at my chosen pathways to see if I did as my professor said to do.  Did I wear many different hats throughout the years?  Well, for awhile I interned as a social worker, then proceeded to work as a waitress on the Plaza for several years.  As a twenty-five year old I launched into nursing school and found myself working at Children's Mercy Hospital for awhile.  Along the way I dabbled in a few activities like becoming a Creative Memories consultant.  Mostly, though, I raised children and worked as a nurse just one day a week.  Most recently I quit nursing altogether to work alongside Rick with Integrity Resource Center -- I call myself a Project Manager.  Who would've thought that I'd work in the business realm!?  Certainly not me.  Yes, I would say that I've worn many different hats in my lifetime.

     The point is that we can change our positions in life if/when we feel called to do so and really want to.  I believe that God calls each of us to differences places depending upon His will for us at that time.  So for now I will wear my business hat -- and maybe my next season will see me doing something entirely different.  I hope so!  Wearing different hats is what makes life exciting for me =)

No comments:

Post a Comment