Tuesday, October 30, 2012

My Dad's Departure

      Today would have been my dad's 86th birthday -- October 30th.  Although we were expecting his death, we deeply grieved his passing a little more than 11 years ago.  Mostly, though, we were just glad he wasn't physically challenged anymore.  The previous year had been one of mounting health issues.  Dad was ready to die and had been so for years.

      Dad thought he was going to die fairly early in life.  In his early 60's Dad once told me,  "I don't think I'm going to live very long, Kathy," (yet, thirteen years later, he was still alive!)  Dad was so convinced that he would die an early death that he'd planned his funeral well in advance.  Underneath the glass tops of his bedroom dresser Dad had little notes listing various songs he wanted sung and bible verses he lived by.  Dad retired at 62 so that he could enjoy life while still in good health.  And as the years ticked by Dad did enjoy doing the things he loved to do like gardening and building things with his hands.  As his health failed, his faith grew.   

     For his funeral my dad wanted to emphasize two verses he'd come to rely upon in life.  They can be found in 2 Timothy:  "For I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness which the Lord, the Righteous Judge, will award to me on that day" ... verses 7 and 8.  Remember this verse :)

     In July of 2002 Dad was dying.  His heart was failing rapidly.  Now Dad spent an amazing two months with his family.  Knowing that Dad's time on earth was coming to an end, my  mother, my sister and I each tried to spend as much quality time with him as possible.  The morning Dad died was an unexpected surprise even though we had prepared ourselves for several months.  Dad couldn't speak that morning, and his awareness was questionable.  Sometimes Dad seemed to be trying to talk to us -- his lips would move and little sounds could be heard.  So we gathered together to watch and wait.  My sister was hurriedly driving from St. Louis to Kansas City in hopes of being with Dad before he died.  The irony was that she'd just left Kansas City for her home in St. Louis the day before!  Judy was sad to think she was four hours away from us at this time.

     My mom and I spent time sitting beside Dad as the remaining few hours of his life ebbed by.  Sensing the time was very near we called Judy so that she could say a few words to Dad before he died.  He tried to speak.  His lips moved ever so slightly.  A few minutes after this phone call, Dad began to breathe more slowly until there was one final breath signaling the end of life.  It was the most incredible feeling to be kneeling beside him -- sensing the spirit of life hover for a few seconds before disappearing in an instant.  I looked at my mom and said,  "He's not here anymore.  He's gone." 

     Over the next several days we were very busy.  Besides planning Dad's funeral, there were lots of phone calls to make and an obituary to write.   Relatives flew in from distant cities.  We laughed and cried.  Time seemed to stand still at times.

     On the day of Dad's funeral we stood in the church sanctuary greeting guests as they arrived to pay their respects.  All of a sudden a friend of my parents, Miriam, Pastor Ton's wife, came to Mom with a look of astonishment.  She was holding a little flip calendar that had been designed by a committee headed by my mom.  On this day, August 3rd, was written this verse, "The time has come for my departure.  I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."  My dad's favorite verses to live by!

     We couldn't believe it!  My parents were responsible for finding most of the verses for this little flip calendar and here was my dad's favorite verse written on the very day of his funeral!  It was as if God were smiling from heaven saying, "Yes.  Your dad lives with me now.  For I know the plans I have for you ..."  Jeremiah 29:11 

   And, yet, there was one more time for God to give us just one more glimpse into His awesome power, majesty and love for us.  On October 30th of that same year, one of Kansas City's Christian radio stations showcased my dad's favorite verse as its Scripture for the Day!  Just one more happenstance to show that God is in control of our very lives & deaths.

No comments:

Post a Comment